CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

13 August 2007

Thanks Liana

"It was a lie, of course, that it wouldn't hurt a bit. But since adults always said it when it was going to hurt, he could count on that statement as an accurate prediction of the future. Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth."
--Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

When I was younger, I wanted to be a writer. That was my dream in life. All my old notebooks from high school are filled with character personas, names, lists, starts of stories, ideas... I played loads of PBeM RPGs (play by email roleplaying groups), particularly for the world of Pern, by Anne McCaffrey. At one point I was in 12 groups, with over 60 active characters that I wrote for. It was insanity keeping up with the amount of email I received, but it was thrilling. One group published stories occasionally, so I do have two or three stories bound, which is kind of cool in a geeky way.

In one of the groups, I met a brilliant young girl who was a year younger than me. We commiserated together when we weren't allowed in certain groups for our age (which was indeed highly irritating). After awhile, we had a lot of characters that were connected somehow. She was a genius. Literally. She taught me some of the joy of Sailor Moon (hehe), I learned about some very good anime from her. And she shared Ender with me. The book pulls you in instantly. That quote is from the beginning of the book and it really makes you think. I've used that as my favorite quote for a long time. Sometimes lies are more dependable than the truth. There's a lot of truth there.

Anyway, don't really have much else to say right now... having some braxton hicks, so I just want to go lay down with a big cup of water, but I wanted to share this first.

If you haven't read Ender's Game, I would suggest it. It's a brilliant little book.

0 comments: